Sunday, May 22, 2005

Project: Capt. Kate's Red Outfit: the Shirts Post 3

I don't have the money for linen roght now, probably won't until August. So I decided to go ahead and do a mock-up that could be used in another ensemble. I have also bought a digital camera, but am now having picture hosting issues. The pictures will come back soon. I promise.

The directions created by the Smock Generator assume you'll be putting this directly on your fabric. I'm going to draw it on paper since I'll be making multiple versions.

The problem with the brown paper is it curls badly. So much for hoping that I wouldn't need to pin the pattern paper to the material. I saved paper by drawing all three lengths on the same sheet, but I decided to start with the ankle-length chemise if I had enough fabric.


I found enough in this green that's probably a cotton/polyester blend. The polyester makes it not fire-safe, but I can probably use the finished chemise as one of the 14th century gowns if it turns out well. Besides I have to use this fabric up before I can justify buying more.


My cat Mustard helping. If he helps this much on other projects, he may end up watching from the cat carrier. Locking him up in another room won't work, the only room with a latchable door is the sewing room.


I've figured out one good thing about commercial patterns, using the material fold takes up less floor space.



The only thing I'm unsure of while facing cutting the fabric is the neck hole. I want a collar with a small ruff and those instructions are not provided by the Elizabethan Smock Generator.

Problem for the next sewing session. I ended this one after cutting the fabric.

1 comment:

Athena's Grove - Fabric Trims said...

I notice you threaten to cage your cat...some very wise people have told me that no garb is complete without cat hair (or dog hair, if you're of that ilk.)

I like your comments about the duct-tape double. Will be looking at your blog more soon!